I love spicing up a Friday Happy Hour. And just because our Happy Hours are happening over Zoom, or across the fence from the neighbors, or in the same pj set you’ve been wearing to your at-home office all week…doesn’t mean we can’t enjoy ourselves. And while it’s the summer, it’s time to sink into some summertime staples! Here are two bomb diggity recipes to set your Friday apart from the week, featuring an all-time favorite of mine, watermelon!
A friend inspired me to concoct this killer watermelon peach guac recipe. Watermelon adds crunch while peaches sprinkled lightly with sugar add a subtle sweet. Jalapenos add a note of heat and served with your favorite tortilla chips, you’ll feel all the kinds level-up energy.
Pair this guac with an ultra-refreshing watermelon mint marg and call it a day. (Don’t be intimidated by watermelon juice. Just blend and strain and blamo, you’ve got the most beautifully fragrant and lightly sweet refreshment.)
Watermelon Peach Guacamole
2 medium avocados
1 peach, cut into ¼ inch cubes
½ cup watermelon, cut into ½ inch cubes (I buy a personal size yellow or pink…I prefer yellow!)
1/2 chopped cilantro
1 Jalapeno chopped (seeds in for extra heat)
½ red onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 lime, juiced
½ tsp cumin
½ tsp sugar
Salt & pepper to taste
- In a small bowl, add cubed peaches and sugar, stir to make sure each piece is coated. Set aside.
- In a medium sized bowl, smash avocados with a fork until desired texture (I like to leave mine a little chunky. Combine remaining ingredients into avocados, mix. Add salt and pepper to taste. Enjoy.
Watermelon Mint Margarita (1 serving)
1oz Triple Sec
1oz Lime Juice
½oz Simple Syrup
3-4 mint leaves ( plus extra for garnish)
Watermelon slice (for garnish)
Tajin (for garnish)
To make watermelon juice:
- Remove watermelon fruit from outer rind and add to a food processor or blender. Blend until fruit has lost its structure and is well combined. Pour through strainer for a pulp free juice or use immediately.
To make cocktail:
- In a cocktail shaker, add simple syrup, 3-4 mint leaves, and a few cubes of ice. Shake for 10 seconds until mint leaves are muddled and incorporated into the simple syrup.
2. Add tequila, triple sec, lime, and a few more ice cubes. Shake until very cold (shaker should be cold to touch.
3. Pour shaked cocktail into glass with ice, top with watermelon juice. Garnish with watermelon slice sprinkled with Tajin and 1 mint leaf.