This week we have been asking you, our followers, for things you’d like us to make! Whether it’s been using certain ingredients, the level of difficulty, or certain cooking techniques. You’ve asked, and we’re here to answer!
“Fave recipe with the smallest number of ingredients? Mtn town stores are a bit limiting. Ideal if it’s good as left overs.”
Why only my favorite childhood meal of all time! Spaghetti Pie! Because, let’s face it, we all love a meal that brings you back to the good ole days.
Spaghetti Pie is pretty self explanatory. Pasta is combined with cheese and egg to form an all too amazing carby crust, filled to the brim with pasta sauce, topped with a hefty covering of cheese, and baked to melty, ooey, gooey, perfection.
This recipe is so easy, even me as a 5 year old would help make it! Better yet, you can make it as easy or as complicated as you like. For the sake of the minimal ingredients request for this recipe, I used a can of pre-made pasta sauce. But you can make a sauce from scratch, too! But today, we’ll stick with the basics, doll em’ up, and create a meal that’ll feed a family, stores well, and can even be put in the freezer for later on. Move over plain old pasta, spaghetti pie is in town.
9oz pasta ( preferably spaghetti, or angel hair)
2 eggs, beaten
2/3 cup cottage cheese or ricotta
½ jar pasta sauce
3 cloves garlic, crushed
1 white onion, chopped
1 pound ground beef (or any ground meat you prefer or have on hand)
1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
2 cups mozzarella
1/4 cup parmesan (Optional)
1 teaspoon red pepper flake (Optional)
Salt & pepper to taste
9inch Pie Pan
Preheat oven to 350
- In medium sauce pan, add olive oil to pan over medium heat. Add onions, garlic, and ground beef. Sautee until beef is cooked and onions are soft and translucent. Add red pepper flakes. Cook for 1 minute.
- Add pasta sauce to pan. Let simmer for 10 mins. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook pasta in salted boiling water. Drain, and place in medium sized bowl.
- While still hot, add cottage or ricotta cheese & beaten eggs. Mix until well combined. Press mixture into pie pan, creating a crust.
- Pour pasta sauce into center of crust. Spread evenly. Sprinkle mozzarella cheese and parmesan until sauce is covered. (It’s okay to have a solid layer of cheese, the more the better!)
- Place pie pan in oven. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until sauce is bubbly and cheese is golden brown. Remove from oven.
- Cool for 5-10 minutes before serving. The longer you wait, the more well set the pie will be, and the less messy it will be to serve.