I, Emily, your designated baker here on the Roast’d & Toast’d team, felt we all may need a little home made love this week.
We sit in very difficult times. Baking has always been an outlet for me, I hope these super simple and delicious browned butter chocolate chip cookies do the same for you.
Remember. Be kind. To yourself. And others. We’ve got this.
Browned Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
¾ cup butter
2 tablespoons milk
1 cup brown sugar
½ cup granulated sugar
1 large egg + 1 egg yolk
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 ¾ cups all purpose flour
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
1 ½ cups semi sweet chocolate chips
For Browned Butter:
- Place ¾ cup butter in small sauce pan over medium heat.
- Melt butter, stirring constantly to ensure butter cooks evenly. Once melted, butter will begin to foam. Continue stirring. Stir 5-8 minutes until butter turns golden brown. Foam will subside and milk solids will begin to turn brown as bottom of the pan. Butter will begin to smell nutty.
- Remove butter from pan, in heat safe bowl. Set aside.
For Chocolate Chip Cookies:
- Stir browned butter, milk, brown sugar, and granulated sugar until well combined.
- Add in egg, egg yolk, and vanilla. Mix until lighter in color.
- In separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda, and salt. Then combine with wet ingredients, scraping down sides and ensuring a smooth batter.
- Stir in chocolate chips, by hand. Let mixture sit for 20 mins.
- Preheat oven to 325. Line cookie sheet with parchment paper and dose cookies into two tablespoon increments.
- Bake 8-9 minutes, turning the pan half way through baking. Edges should look done, while looking undercooked in the center.
- Allow cookies to sit on pan 5-7 minutes before removing to cooling tray. Cookies will continue to bake on pan, ensuring a crisp yet soft cookie.
- Let cookies rest until room temperature. Place in airtight containers.